Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Zucchini Pancakes


I have been spending a lot of time working and studying lately, so I've been using my down time in the evenings as an opportunity to get creative. I figured that if can’t enjoy my summer outside, perhaps I can enjoy my summer in food.

Let me tell introduce to you two amazing words that will change the way you cook for as long as you’re in school, and possibly forever. Roast Chicken. Yes, I am talking about one of those big birds you always pass by at the grocery store. They appear to be meant only for a hungry family of four, but did you know that if you take it home and immediately shred it off the bone, it can last for days in the fridge? I’m serious! Don’t let the bird intimidate you anymore! It’s a budget friendly move that can help you add a little protein and pizzazz to salads, pasta, and more. Stuff shells with it, use it in cheese quesadillas, make a chicken salad, and sure, go ahead and stir it into your easy mac. I promise I wont judge. In fact, I ate that yesterday for lunch. I love that I can buy a chicken on Sunday and use it a million different ways throughout the week.

Okay, I made it pretty clear that I hate boring food. However, I also hate complicated food. Sometimes simplicity is key when making a tasty dish. Great food doesn’t need to be over the top or difficult to make. So if you can make pancakes, then you can easily make this tasty supper.

Sadly, I lost the picture I took of the final dish. But this is way too tasty for me to keep from you, so I promise I will make it up to you!

Zucchini Pancakes
makes about 3 medium-sized pancakes

1 zucchini, grated
1 tbsp grated onion
1 large egg, beaten
¼ cup shredded cheese
3-4 tbsp all-purpose flour
salt
black pepper
crushed red pepper (the kind that came with your pizza last weekend)
vegetable oil
butter
shredded chicken
sour cream

Wash, then grate your zucchini with the large side of a box grater. Then grate about a tablespoon of onion (or more if you would like). You can use red onion, yellow onion, or whatever you have at home. Combine in a bowl with the beaten egg, about three tablespoons of flour, salt, pepper, and the baking powder. If the batter is too thin, add a little more flour. Mix in the cheese, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper. Make sure to use a generous amount of salt and pepper because zucchini doesn’t have a lot of flavor on its own!

Combine a little vegetable oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is heated and the butter has melted, pour some of the batter onto the skillet. Just like regular pancakes, when you see some bubbles at the top, it’s probably ready to flip!

Make the rest of your pancakes and keep them warm on a pan in a 300 degree oven.

Finally, top one or two of these pancakes with a generous handful of your shredded chicken. I like to heat mine up on the skillet really quickly. For the final touch, add dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of pepper.

I usually only cook for myself, especially during the week, but this recipe can easily be doubled to make more. Also, if you’re going meatless, these pancakes are great on their own! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment