Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Adios, Austin (part one)


In less than a week, I will be on a plane to London. It just hit me.

I, along with my friends Jenny and Kelsey, will be spending three weeks backpacking around Europe. After we spend a few days getting over our jet lag in London, we'll start our travels with a bang. Yes, I'm talking about a weekend in Amsterdam (um to check out their windmills and tulips, obviously). Then will make our way to Prague via overnight train. Now, no European vacation is complete without a stop in Italy, so we'll spend a few days visiting Venice and Florence. You can expect the cliché sunset-on-the-Rialto-Bridge photograph as well as an abundance of pictures of gelato. We will then head to southern France for a few days of cleansing and relaxing in Nice. Why? 

Because we will definitely need it before my 21st birthday weekend in Paris! Am I the luckiest girl, or what?

I'm, trying not to get too enthusiastic just yet, because I still have to take my GRE on Thursday. I'm trying my best to stay calm and hope that my studying paid off.

Now, I know I shouldn’t be sad to leave considering all the amazing adventures I’m about to have, but there is a part of me that is feeling a little depressed about saying goodbye to Austin. I’m not trying to be melodramatic. I know I’m going to be back in a few months. It’s just that Austin is most vibrant at this time of the year! People are spending time at Barton Springs or checking out the latest produce at our local farmers market. The same people who were moody, stressed out, and just difficult to put up with during the school year are actually happy.

See, even if you are working or studying over the summer, it’s hard not to look around and just feel thrilled to live here. I have always enjoyed spending my summers here for this reason. The hustle and bustle of campus is replaced with a refreshing tranquility. Everyone is spending time outside with their friends. It’s absolutely peaceful.

My farewell to Austin begins today. I got an email about a secret sale at STRUT, so I bought a new dress and a pair of sandals. I spent some time wandering through the aisles of Book People for no particular reason. And now I am sipping on an iced hazelnut latte at a coffee shop on Lamar Street after reviewing some vocabulary. Sure, I’m a little anxious and nervous. But it's just too lovely outside today to feel anything but happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment